Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day! 36 weeks 4 days in utero

Happy Valentine's Day!

I hope everyone reading had as good a day as we did. I gave Pui a card I spent some time picking out, and she cried. I'm hoping she cried because it was so sweet and wonderful she couldn't help herself, and not because she realized she was saddled with an idiot for a husband. She tells me it's the sweet and wonderful one. I'll take it. Pui got me two cards, and I almost cried because they were so sweet and wonderful. But to maintain my macho pose I told Pui I was trying not to cry because I stubbed my toe on the blanket. (I don't think she bought it. To be honest, a blanket was probably a poor choice for toe-stubbery.)

My father, though, won the sweeps for best Valentine's gifts. The first picture is what he gave Pui. A flower (an orchid!), candy, and a little teddy bear. I would have been jealous and upset, but he got me some chocolate, so I didn't complain.

Poor Pui is really feeling the effects of being very pregnant. I took this picture just an hour or so ago. She has sciatica something fierce, and is generally achy and uncomfortable. At least she can sleep laying down: a number of her friends and relatives told her that they could only sleep sitting up in a chair the last few weeks. I just can't see Pui getting enough sleep that way - it's bad enough as it is with her needing to go to the bathroom every couple of hours because Our Little Angel is pushing on her bladder.

A couple of days ago we got rid of the sofa that had been in our room, so now we can start putting the room together in the way we expect it to be when Pat comes home. I get to put together a crib, a changing table, and probably a rocking chair. I like putting together puzzles, and really enjoy the 3D puzzles. These will be just like a puzzle, with the result being a usable piece of furniture.

We'll see how happily optimistic about putting them together I will be after the first one is finished. I predict one of two outcomes: it goes smoothly and I am eager to get started on the rest, or I will be nursing wounds and a grudge against the manufacturers while trying to convince Pui that, yes, the changing table is supposed to have uneven legs and trapezoidal cribs is the latest fad.

Pui was very impressed when we - my mother, father, and I - were able to get the sofa out of our room and down to the living room. Not only did we get the monster - which was longer than the hallway is tall - out a doorway that was narrower than the ends, but we got it around two very tight corners AND down a flight of stairs with no injuries, accidents, or broken objects or people. The sucker was heavy too. We moved it to the living room so the Salvation Army movers wouldn't take one look at the task ahead, shake their heads, and drive away without the sofa. Instead, two burly guys came in, picked it up, lifted it over the piano, and neatly tucked it into their truck. Bye bye sofa! Hello lots of space for baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment